As an Alabama law firm, we see many personal family struggles such as:
- blended family problems with ex-spouses and children from different marriages
- older adults who must solve elder care health and financial challenges
- a special needs child with parents who sweat to pay for expensive health care
- aging men and women fending for themselves with little strength and few resources to solve long-term care problems.
We provide common sense legal resolutions to help people overcome the setbacks that life gives them. We enjoy being problem solvers.
Our focus is on meeting personal needs, creating harmony and obtaining the best possible outcome. Most importantly, we treat you like family in a relaxed, hometown, casual atmosphere.
Attorneys and Staff
Growing up, John saw how hard his dad worked as a lawyer. At first, John wasn’t drawn to the law profession, but, he followed tradition and completed law school. He was attracted to the practice of estate planning and elder law because he likes helping people and now, he finds his law practice very fulfilling.
It’s gratifying to use the law to help people get out of stressful situations. He remembers a case involving a widow who suffered from dementia and wandered the streets and whose sole income was only about $600 a month. John found out that her spouse was a veteran who was once a prisoner of war, so he helped her qualify for VA compensation. She started receiving monthly veteran benefits. Combined with her limited income of about $600 a month, she had enough to pay for assisted living. Read more about John Holliman.
Melanie decided in high school to be a lawyer and was immediately drawn to elder law because she could see the issues facing her older parents as they aged. She enjoys estate planning, elder law, long-term care planning, Medicaid and Social Security benefits consulting and special needs law leveraging state and federal laws to protect and build better lives for her clients. Read more about Melanie Bradford Holliman.
Jim Holliman is a long-time family law attorney who helps Alabama families in Shelby and Jefferson Counties. And yes, he was the role model that led his son John into the legal field. Jim's family law practice is co-located at the Pelham offices of Bradford & Holliman.
Crackerjack Support Team
From the friendly voice that greets you over the phone to the competent paralegal who drafts your legal documents, we aim to provide friendly, knowledgeable and reliable services. Below is a list of our current staff members who will treat you like family:
- Betty Blalock, Paralegal to Melanie for Probate
- Brenda Crabtree, Receptionist at Scottsboro Office
- Dianne Dunlap, Paralegal to Jim Holliman
Get a Free Copy of Our Book on Veterans Benefits
Melanie and John have co-authored "Paying for Long Term Care, Financial Help for Wartime Vets". This free book tells you everything that you need to know to help you pay for long term care. Veterans and their Spouses can get extra monthly income to help pay for in-home care and assisted living.
- A married veteran - up to $2,120 per month
- A single veteran - up to $1,788 per month
- A surviving spouse of a veteran - up to $1,149 per month
- Two vets married, each receiving - up to $1,418 per month
- Well veteran, spouse needs care - up to $1,404 per month
Available while supplies last. Contact us today to request your copy!